On Thursday 4 October 2018 the government will close the childcare voucher scheme to new entrants, replacing it with the new tax-free childcare scheme.
We thought that this is important for those who have benefited from the voucher scheme, and are unsure what’s going on, so we asked Charlotte Cowgill, Legal Adviser at DAS Law, to share what you need to know…
Why is the government making this move?
The new scheme is intended to be a fairer and better targeted system than childcare vouchers, and will mean that all families can get support regardless of their employer or whether they are self-employed. Support is based on the number of children in a family, rather than number of parents as seen in the current childcare voucher scheme. Parents who wish to continue to …
Deal seekers get ready: Toys”R”Us® kicks off an early Black Friday One Day Deal in Toys ‘R’ Us Stores across the country.
For TODAY ONLY (17 November 2017), get a massive 20% OFF ALL toys, baby, bikes & wheels at Toys ‘R’ Us. You don’t want to miss this: reserve online and collect in-store in just 29 minutes 🎉 http://bit.ly/2zZlwzi
20% Off Toys, Baby, Bikes & Wheels – In-store Only
How to qualify:
- Either reserve the items you want online by selecting Click & Collect in your basket, or visit your nearest Toys R Us store (click here to find stores).
- Your Click & Collect order amount shown online will not include your 20% discount. This will be applied at the till when you pay in store.
- Click & Collect orders placed on
As a recipient of financial help from my parents for our children, I liked this research so thought I’d share it.
At a time when estate agents are warning that house price affordability is reaching a crisis point it seems that more people are turning to their grandparents in order to get a foot on the property ladder. The Bank of Gran and Grandad has donated a total of over £37bn in funds to their grandchildren and one in ten grandparents say this money was to be spent on a deposit for a house.
The generous donations look set to continue as the research from Saga shows that a further third of grandparents are still considering or intending to give a financial gift and one in ten are considering lending money to grandchildren. The typical …
From trendy trainers to boho tops and backpacks, Aldi’s Specialbuys Kid’s Spring Fashion Range has everything parents need to freshen up their little one’s wardrobe for the season ahead, available in stores and online from 19th March.
With children’s Animal Backpacks (£7.99) in cheeky characters are an adorable accessory to brighten up the school run. Available in Monkey, Rabbit, Unicorn or Dinosaur designs, they also come complete with fun pull zips, perfect for safely storing prized possessions.
Youngsters can stay on trend this spring with Aldi’s stand-out new season designs such as the Girl’s Boho Top (£3.99) in jersey with frill cap sleeves, embroidered woven front yoke and lace trim or this lightweight Girls’ Denim Dress (£5.99) with antique brass buttons front. It’s perfect for springtime adventures and is available in a range of …
So we’re well into term one of a new school year. Uniform has been purchased, but what about the school trips, after-school clubs, school dinners and replacement sports gear that will be needed through the year.
Your children might always come first, but that doesn’t mean school related expenditure needs to break the bank every year. By following a few simple tips from Joe Green, Consumer Affairs Expert at Experian, you’ll be able to significantly cut the costs of keeping your kids clothed and equipped.
Shop around for best deals
When it comes to most school items you can find good quality at low prices if you shop around. Supermarkets, for example, offer competitive prices on school supplies including uniforms, and you could save significantly. However it’s important to keep an eye on quality and …
Fancy seeing a tropical fish but can’t afford an exotic holiday, well head to a Sea Life Centre. I’ve looked up how you can get discount tickets this holiday and have found the following:
- At Sea Life Brighton, the attraction is offering kids free entry to our aquarium when accompanied by an adult, until 19 August. Adult ticket prices start from £10.50 for the Basic Saver Package, reaching £14.50 for the Ultimate Package which includes a behind-the-scenes tour, guidebook and exclusive Sea Life pop badge.
- Sea Life Centres across the country are also offering 2 for 1 entry as part of the Days Out Guide. Details can be found at: https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/search-results?q=sea%20life&r=
- 2 for 1 tickets to Sea Life Centres and other Merlin attractions in the UK are also being offered with selected Cadbury products.
With the summer holidays in full swing, parents around the UK will no doubt be noticing the looming back to school adverts grazing TV, shops and websites.
While parents claim to spend £70 on school uniforms, Provident asked 2,024 parents in the UK to list all the elements that go into sending your child to school.
Cost breakdown of sending one child to school for a year
As the new academic year gets closer, parents should expect to pay approximately £1,519 to send a child to school, these cost vary based on the academic year your child will be in.
Some of the main costs throughout the year include: Childcare: £220 Uniform: £70 Tech: £85 After school clubs: £106 Packed lunch: £585 Commuting: £60 School social events: £55…
A family of four will be able to visit ODEON Cinemas to enjoy a film, food and drink for just £30*, until September 8th. At selected sites across ODEON Cinemas, this price is as low as £25 for a family of four!
ODEON are also running their continued ODEON Kids screenings every day throughout the Summer holidays at participating cinemas across the country – with tickets from just £2.50** each for all guests. For more information, families can visit: http://www.ODEON.co.uk/kids/
ODEON’s family offering for summer includes:
- Families of four can enjoy a visit to the cinema with a film, food and drink for just £30
- Families of three can also visit the cinema with a film, food and drink for just £26
- At certain ODEON Cinemas, including those in Manchester, Edinburgh & Birmingham, these prices
Lidl is currently running a school uniform TV campaign where some of its items are £1! Today, Aldi and Lidl have undercut Asda, previously the cheapest supplier of school uniforms, by more than £3.
The German discount supermarkets Lidl and Aldi are in the middle of a school uniform price war, with each discounter offering an entire outfit for less than £4.
Lidl is offering four primary school essentials – two polo shirts, a jumper and trousers or pleated skirt – for £3.75 from today.
While Aldi slashed its earlier offer of £4 for its Back to School uniform to just £3.69.
The moves undercut other high street retailers by as much as 80%.
Tony Baines, managing director for corporate buying at Aldi, said: “In order to deliver outstanding quality at unbeatable prices, we have …
HSBC today launched its 2016 student account, offering an interest-free overdraft of up to £3,000 as well as a £60 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card plus a year of Amazon Prime benefits, and what’s more, a range of exclusive offers and discounts across top brands.
The new HSBC Student Bank Account is available from 22nd in branches and online and includes:
- Up to £3,000 interest-free overdraft with no fees (subject to status and account conduct)
- £60 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card
- A year of Amazon Prime benefits
- Optional student credit card with a limit of £500 (APR 18.9%)
- Credit interest paid on balances up to £1,000 in the first year of study
- HSBC Mobile Banking app, including Paym
- Contactless debit card and access to Apple Pay and Android Pay
- Text alerts: customers set their own limits and we’ll text